What is Content Pillar? Surely, it is no longer an unusual topic for marketers, particularly SEO specialists. Although deploying Content Pillar is not very difficult, it can help you develop a powerful content strategy that adds significant value to your website/Social media.
If you are interested in knowing how to utilize Content Pillar efficiently, you should not miss the post that follows. Let’s immediately discover the 5+ steps to creating the most effective Pillar in 2022 with Share Tool!
What is Content Pillar?
The Content Pillar serves as the central hub for all of your website’s and social media content. To sum up, the central theme framework derived from the big concept is called Content Pillar.
Take the case of the content pillar as an example.
Assuming you are in the printing business, the Pillar Page will be “decals,” and my subtopics will include: pvc decal; compare PP printing material with decal; compare paper decal and plastic decal; compare clear decal and translucent decal;…
The large circle in the middle is called the Pillar Page, the surrounding circles are the Subtopic/Cluster Content and the links that connect the articles together are called Hyperlinks.
Terms related to Content Pillar
Topic Cluster deployment method was researched and released by Hubspot in 2017. This method is also known by many as Pillar Content and Cluster Content techniques.
A topic cluster is a cluster of topics around a certain topic instead of focusing on optimizing by keywords and using a Pillar Page to link. A Topic Cluster will include a Pillar page that links to other subtopic pages on the same website.
- Pillar Page: This is the main topic page, referring to the general content of the topic under construction.
- Subtopic/Content cluster: is a sub-topic, consisting of many sub-articles that go into details of each content mentioned on the Pillar Page. From there, help readers and users better understand the entire topic given. These sub-articles will be linked to each other and to the Pillar Page
Here I will take an example of a Topic Cluster topic, suppose you want to build a topic cluster about “business license”, your Topic Cluster will then include.
- Pillar Page: register for a business license
- Cluster Content: register for a business license online; register for an international travel business license; enterprise business registration form;…
Cluster Content will include many long articles that analyze in-depth the specific issues mentioned on the Pillar Page.
Content Pillar is one of the modern techniques to catch up with the Content Marketing 2025 trend. With this technique, content marketers can easily strategize content for their websites.
Types of Pillar Pages
Pillar Pages with X10 content
10x content is content that is 10x better than the highest ranking results for a given keyword(s).
Building Pillar Pages with x10 content allows you to research and delve deeply into a topic from the perspective of an expert with expertise in that field. With this type of Pillar Page, you can target many specific words related to the same topic.
Here are some quality control criteria for Pillar Pages with x10 content:
- Users have a smooth experience on both website and Mobile platforms
- Quality content, and harmonious form, bring information value to readers
- The article has high accuracy, satisfying the search needs of users
- Hit the psyche
- Posts have the ability to evoke human emotions such as sadness, excitement or anger
- The special content analyzes the topic cluster comprehensively.
Subtopic Pillar Page
Type Subtopic Pillar Page the pillar pages of the subtopic will offer alternative solutions. Provide comprehensive and useful content for the reader. A Subtopic Pillar Page needs to be comprehensive, and position a writer with expertise to present this topic and solve the problem that the client is facing.
Resource Pillar Page
SEOers often build a neat arrangement of internal and external links. It’s like you know what winter or summer clothes are in which compartment, so it’s easy to get them to wear.
The resource pillar page is similar, readers will easily find related articles with large topics to explore and learn more content to solve the problems they encounter. So with this type of page, it has a strong influence on the traffic and interaction of the website.
6 Steps to create the most effective Content Pillar
Step 1: Find the main topic
The topic chosen for the Pillar Page will have to be broad enough and the content must have lasting value. Besides, the topic you choose must cater specifically to your industry so that it can be broken down into different content clusters and reach the right customer files interested in your products and services.
Topics with a length of about 2-3 words have the ability to generalize the main content, do not choose longtail keywords to be the main topic because the topic is too narrow to be divided into Subtopic articles.
Besides, you also need to build a customer persona for your website through which to understand the problems they are facing and then draw out what they are interested in when searching on your website.
I’ll show you some tips to help you identify the right topic for your Pillar Pages. After you have chosen a number of topics, answer the following two questions for yourself:
- Question 1: Does this topic adequately answer readers’ questions about a particular keyword?
- Question 2: Is this topic broad enough for you to explore many different aspects with about 20-30 articles?
Step 2: Create Topic Cluster and Subtopic
After getting the Pillar Page, the next thing you need to do is research out the content clusters (subtopics) to complete a Topic Cluster.
Keyword research is an extremely important job, this step will determine the structure of the content for your website. You can use some tools like Keyword Planner, Ahrefs, Keywordtool.io, SEMrush… to find the right content clusters for your Pillar Page.
In addition, you can refer to the implementation of competitor content or refer to the ranked results related to the main topic.
Here I will demo how to find clustered content for a Pillar Page!
- Step 1: Take the researched Head Keyword into the anonymous Google Tab (Ctrl + Shift + N) and select the top 1 competitor for analysis.
- Step 2: Search with the syntax “site:domaintop1.com + head keyword”
- Step 3: Analyze and take related articles from the top down to form Topic Cluster
Step 3: Build Pillar Page
Now it’s time to design your Pillar Page and optimize the content on the website. Your page should be coherent and clear.
When building a pillar page, you need to pay attention to the following factors:
- The table of contents and the Anchor Text Links should be placed at the beginning of the article.
- Optimized for H1, H2, H3, and H4 tags…
- Internal links: links between pages with the same topic to provide more in-depth information to the reader.
- Outbound links: Links to sources to verify the accuracy of your information.
- Images: illustrations must be Unique, helping readers feel the content of the article more intuitively.
- Back to top button: This button should be included in all key sections or at the absolute bottom of the page. This makes it easy for users to go back to the top of the page without having to scroll too much.
- Landing page element: To increase conversions, add a form somewhere where users can contact you when they need help.
- Call-to-action (CTA) Button: A CTA button will encourage readers to take a specific action (e.g. contact you, download more information, etc.). However, you should use it usefully and in the right place, don’t let it interrupt the flow of the page.
- You should cover your core topic in key locations on the page, including Page Title, URL, H1 Tag, and Body.
Step 4: Write Content Pillar
Writing Content Pillar is also not much different from regular SEO articles. The only thing is that the Pillar article needs to cover all the content of a topic, so the article must be invested with quality, well-thought-out images and the length of the article will also be longer than the cluster articles.
A coherent content layout makes it easy for readers to follow and find the items they are looking for. Introduce the topic of the Pillar Page and give an overview so readers know what they will find on the page. Next, you dive into each subtopic, focusing on answering the reader’s questions.
You can internally link to other related articles on your website and help users access more information, but your website also increases the time onsite rate.
A few notes when writing content for the Pillar Page:
- Pillar Page content must satisfy the intent and contain fully, covering all clusters of the content contained in it
- Pillar Page will not cover the issue in detail as each cluster of content, but only at the level of a brief introduction to each item.
- However, assuming the intent requires writing 1000 – 1500 words, writing a lot is not necessary (for both Pillar & Cluster)
Step 5: Promote Content Pillar
After completing your Pillar article, you can post and share your article to many different audiences in some of the following ways:
- Share on social channels
- Create advertising campaigns
- Send email
- Feature it in your related articles
- Let your employees share it with potential customers
- Seeding on groups/forums
Step 6: Regularly Audit Content but do not deviate from the original topic
Knowledge will always be updated, so you should regularly Audit content to edit and supplement so that your article is always new to bring the newest and quality information. Thereby giving users a great experience when searching for news on your website, even if your article is interesting enough they can even share your article on different social networking platforms.
You can watch this video to know more about Pillar Content and how to implement content pillars in topic cluster:
Questions related to Content Pillar
1. What is Page Pillar?
The pillar Page is the main topic page that deals with the general content of a Topic Cluster.
2. Is Content Pillar Important?
Content Pillar is very important in building a content strategy for the website. This is a page that provides an overview of a topic, Content Pillar page not only helps readers access information in the most detailed and complete way, but it also helps your website easily get a high position. in search rankings.
3. How to develop a quality Content Pillar?
Based on the content marketing development process, from idea generation, keyword research, and content planning. Until writing and optimizing according to checklist criteria.
4. Why deploy Content Pillar for Topic Cluster?
When building a content strategy according to the Topic Cluster technique, the content of your website will be consistent, you also do not worry about deploying a lack of articles compared to your competitors.
It is not too difficult for you to build a Content Pillar that can bring great benefits to both readers and Google’s search engines. Hopefully, through the above article, you can firmly grasp the concept of Content Pillar. And how to deploy Content Pillar in the most effective way for your website.