Website speed can make or break a website. Website speed testing tools are important for web developers, marketers, as well as IT departments. Your website’s loading speed can make a huge difference in its overall success.
Your performance in almost every area, from user experience and search engine optimization, is affected by page speed. Most website visitors will wait around four seconds before loading a page and then move on to the next thing.
It’s obvious that faster websites will perform better. It can be hard to know where to begin.
It is not a good way to test whether your website is loading quickly. Most marketers and developers will use a variety of free tools to test the speed of their websites.
These tools are constantly changing and updating. The top 10 Free Website Speed Test Tools in 2022 will include some new favorites.
GTmetrix is one of the most popular free tools for testing website speed in 2019. It is very easy to use. Simply enter your URL and hit “Analyze.” GTmetrix is a powerful tool that offers many benefits.
- It is extremely easy to use the overall interface. The UX design of the site is simple to use and instills trust.
- You will be given context to help you understand page speed numbers (your fully loaded time is compared with the average internet load of 6.7 seconds). It’s helpful to see how your performance compares to others.
Verdict – GTMetrix offers a Pro level upgrade which grants you access to page settings and monitoring. The test is completely free, and you can download the data. GTmetrix is and very user-friendly making it one the most useful page speed tools in 2019.
The next entry on this list is unlikely to win any web design awards. WebPageTest is however one of the most trusted and reliable website speed testing tools. WebPageTest’s main strengths are:
- Each WebPageTest run can be customized by users.
- WebPageTest has many options that allow you to configure it to use different locations or different web browser options. WebPageTest can tell you if your website is slow in Google Chrome and fast in Firefox.
- WebPageTest can be ordered to run multiple runs. This will give you an indication of how your website’s page speeds are performing consistently.
Verdict WebPageTest can be used open-source and is free. It’s not very flashy and the diagnostics and results aren’t very user-friendly. The data is reliable. WebPageTest is a great tool to help you understand your web page.
Google PageSpeed Insights doesn’t offer much data or suggestions for fixing problems, as compared to the other 9 entries. It’s actually not a true speed testing tool. It’s worth looking at this Google-built tool for a few reasons.
- Google’s search results may be more important than those of other tools. Google creates search rankings that you can use to get traction. It’s a smart idea to consider any data from Google that shows issues with your website’s performance.
- It is extremely easy to use. Simply enter your web address and wait for results. Results will appear on both desktop and mobile versions of your website. You can see the results in color, so you know right away if your website is performing well.
Verdict PageSpeed Insights may not be listed if it wasn’t an official Google tool. It doesn’t offer all the features of the other tools in our list. If you want to rank high on Google’s search engine, you will need to know how Google rates your page speed. In this instance, the utility of the tool is more important than its authority.
Pingdom offers users a good mix of simplicity and options. Pingdom has the following advantages:
- Pingdom allows users to test their website speed at any one of four testing locations. You’ll want to select the closest testing location to your website’s geographical user base.
- The results are very easy to read with a letter grade breakdown of performance insights. This also provides a list of specific issues to address.
- The waterfall is one of the easiest to read among web speed testing tools. Furthermore, the data has been broken down in a way that allows you to dig deeper.
VerdictPingdom can be used to test the speed of your webpages. Its interface is easy to use. It is easy to scan the data or get into the details. Pingdom can be used to generate a report for clients and also give your developer the information necessary to fix problems.
The Dareboost website speed tester appears the same as all other speed testers. That’s a good thing in some ways. It is easy to enter your web address, choose a test site and begin your test.
Dareboost can be a bit tricky. You will need to register for a free account if you have used the service before. It is usually worthwhile, but don’t be surprised if you have to sign up again for Dareboost to create a username. Dareboost has many interesting features.
- This is a great way to break down data into visual representations. You can see the progress you are making once you understand what each data point means. Dareboost offers some helpful and simple explanations.
- Dareboost also offers video breakdowns of your loading process. Although it may sound silly, this can actually be very useful. To see the loading order or rendering order, you can slow down or slow down the video.
Verdict Dareboost certainly brings some unique features to the table. Their data visualization is also a great way for you to interpret your results. Although some may be turned away by the requirement to register for a free account, it is hard to dispute the value of this service.
Images are a major feature of modern websites. It’s difficult to avoid low-resolution images when so many people use retina screens and high-definition displays. Image compression is now a common practice. Cloudinary’s Website Speed Test Image Analysis tool is recommended to help you test these images. This tool:
- This will give you an overview of every image on the page. This will tell you how big the image is, and how much space it could be reduced by compressing it in a different manner.
- This provides data about how many images your website successfully loads and what data they need.
- This article offers suggestions for ways to compress images without losing quality.
Verdict The Website Speed Test Image Ana Tool is the only tool that focuses exclusively on images . This tester is an indispensable tool that you should have in your arsenal, as we will be seeing a much more visual web in the future.
As I have mentioned, page speed plays a huge role in Google ranking your website. SEO Site Checkup allows you to address page speed while also looking at other search engine optimization factors. SEO Site Checkup is my favorite tool because:
- SEO Site Checkup is a holistic approach to website health. It examines factors that impact performance, user experience, and search rankings.
- SEO Site Checkup is both easy to understand and easy to use. This tool will help you find solutions to any issues you may have missed.
- This comprehensive approach will help you understand how important page speed is to website performance, both for users and search engine algorithms.
2019 Verdict – TheSEO Website Checkup is an essential tool for web marketers. This diagnostic will help you to better determine where resources and time should be allocated to improve the performance of your website.
8. Site 24 x 7
- Assess the server environment performance in relation to page speed.
- Integrate with other system administrator tools.
- A waterfall graph showing what pages load on your website and when it loads is a great way to make things easy.
Verdict The Site 24 x7 Webpage Analyzer may not be as robust as some of the tools in this list. However, the integration with other system administrators makes it an excellent addition to a domain-side holistic approach to page speed testing.
Dotcom-tools.com provides a robust and comprehensive page speed testing tool. Other page speed testing tools only allow you to test one place at a time. The Website Speed Test by Dotcom-tools.com tests page speed at 24 locations – including yours or as close as possible to it.
- You can see the load times of your site from different locations. This will help you understand how users experience it around the globe.
- You can contextualize the Website Speed Test information by knowing where your visitors come from. Consider cross-referencing this data with data from Google Analytics.
- Dotcom-tools.com Website speed test also includes detailed waterfall graphs that allow you to see the exact order your webpage loads.
Verdict The Dotcol-tools.com website speed test tool is a great choice if your primary concern is , analyzing how users from different regions view your website.
The Uptrendswebsite does not compromise on design. UpTrends is a great choice if you are looking for a speed test tool that looks nice when you send a screenshot to a client. This webpage testing tool is:
- This graph shows a waterfall graph with in-depth information. You can click on the link to see more.
- This tool generates significant domain group information, which allows you to see other domains that your webpage may be referencing.
- It is easy to use and provides a variety of international locations to choose from.
Verdict UpTrends provides a well-designed, efficient page speed testing tool. Although it doesn’t offer many features that aren’t available elsewhere, it can be an excellent client-facing tool.
You can improve your speed and win the race
These top 10 best website speed testing tools for 2020 are free and can help you get started on your journey to better performance. You and your team may develop preferences as you test each one.
GTmetrix is a great tool. GTmetrix is my favorite testing tool. It offers a array of features and you can get even more if you sign up for a free account.
These tools can help you to get on your feet, measure your success, and prove that you are worth it. All of this is free. Start testing your website right away to get this kind of deal.
You might consider installing caching plugin to speed up your site, or switching web hosts. Or learning more about managed WordPress Hosting.